From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:52:23 -0500
Nope, U.S. ferrets are not old at the age of three despite some strange
rumors which flash in the pan now and then.  For them 3 sort of like the
ages range of 35 to 50 is for humans: a time when maintenance becomes more
important and when it's wise to do some diagnostic tests now and then.

As Urban and many others know we've been on the U.S. ferret scene for a
while.  Over the 15 or so years our STRONG IMPRESSION is that the single
most common age for ferrets to pass away seems to be during the seventh year
of life give or take two or three months (late in 6th year to early in 8th
year), with the vast bulk passing away sometime between 6 years to 10 years.
We have heard of several reports ( at least 4, not more than 6 individuals )
through the years of U.S. ferrets who reached 14 or 15 but that's typically
about like the occasional 115 year old person in a nursing home or the
ferret was an adoptee with no actual age known (so the estimate may have
started too high due to poor nutrition or other abuse making the ferret look
older than its age early on).  Kit deaths sound as if they may be more
common there than here.  I may be wrong on that score but if I am not wrong
then I am curious if your area has experienced more juvenile lympho, more
accidents, or what.  (Juvenile lympho can mask as other illnesses early on
so early diagnoses with euthanasia would not help figure it out since it can
look like lung illness, heart disease, damage to the spinal cord, or a
number of other things -- only for the true cause to be found as the illness
progresses or when a post mortem is done.)

Got through to the nurse.  Blanche (Step Mom) is stable now, but they still
don't know if she had a reaction to her meds as was thought last night or
what.  At the time of the call her primary cardiologist was testing for the
chance that her aneurysm above the dissection might be openning this time.
It's all a tight rope for while now.  We're freaky.

Sukie