From:
Lin Talbot-Koehl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2011 23:53:03 -0400
Sukie:

Apparently, you've never had CPR training, or you'd realize that your
comment,

>To choke on food it has to obstruct the airway -- in TIGHT much beyond
>the mouth. If you can pull if out of the mouth then it was NOT in a
>location where it could cause an obstruction.

is totally WRONG.

When you come across an unconscious person, the first thing you do is
put them on their back (if they're not already), turn the head to the
side, & sweep the mouth w/ your fingers for any foreign bodies that may
have caused a choking situation. Quite often, when the person loses
consciousness, the muscles relax, & any foreign bodies may fall out,
depending on the position the person is laying in. You NEVER put your
fingers down anyone's throat, conscious or unconscious, due to the
risk of pushing any foreign object even further down the throat.

Thirteen yrs ago, I lost my good friend Kelly when she choked to death
on food. She'd woken up in the middle of the night for a snack, & food
got stuck in her throat. Her husband was asleep upstairs; she tried
to make it up to him to help her, but she lost consciousness on the
bedroom floor before she was able to crawl a few more feet to wake
him up. When he found her in the morning, she was on her stomach, &
the food she choked on was in her mouth, not her throat. Had she
retained consciousness for a mere 10 seconds longer, she'd have made
it to him, & lived.

I'm very sorry, but I thought your remark was incorrect, as well as
insensitive, & I believe you owe Sue an apology for that, especially
considering the obvious distress she's under due to her loss.

Lin