From:
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:49:38 -0700
>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Nice Manners:concerning Pine shavings
>***** Mustang Charlie:I do not know why ferrets would be different from
>rats as far as pine shavings.  I can guess that because they are neutered
>way too early by Marshall Farms, it might affect their immune system and
>make them more susceptible than rats to chronic lung disease.  Or maybe
>it is in the genes or previous environment, and some ferrets are more
>resistent to cedar and pine bedding.[?]

Ferrets have not been shown to be more prone to problems than rats, as far
as we know no testing has been done to show whether they are or are not.

Early neutering has nothing to do with it.

Ferrets immune systems are not at all affected by the pine oils, its their
respiratory systems.

In fact as far as we know there has not specifically been any studies of
ferrets and cedar or pine bedding.  Most of the literature I know of about
the whole issue is based on human problems in saw mills.

But yes some ferrets WOULD be more and some less resistant to problems from
the aromatic oils in the chips.

Perhaps there is some miscommunication in the links from your vets to what
has made it to the FML.

bill and diane
--
bill and diane killian