Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 23:02:01 -0600
Dear FML,
I just need to write this, and if anyone has any experience with this type
of problem please feel free to write me or post to the FML.

My ferret Baby, is about five months old.  He is a panda, blaze, bib,
Waardenburg deaf type guy.  My S.O.  noticed what appeared to be a
hemmoroid on Baby's anus last Monday.  We took Baby to the vet on Tuesday,
and after determining that Baby had been otherwise healthy the vet examined
Baby, and found a lump in the area just to the side of the anus.  The vet
aspirated the lump and said he thought it was an abcess since the fluid was
mostly red, and white blood cells.  So, the vet suggested lancing the lump
so the abcess could drain.  He used anesthetic, and when he brought Baby
back the poor little guy had an incision over an inch long that had a
couple little stitches on either end.  The vet said he didn't get as much
pus as he expected from the lump.  He said we should go home and give cefa
drops (an antibiotic) twice a day and warm packs on the incision/lump twice
a day, and return in a week.  We have been following the directions to a
tee, and I am starting to wonder about this thing.  Has anyone ever seen
anything like this?  The vet said if it doesn't go away, he wants to do
surgery to remove the lump.  I am worried about this sweet little guy, he's
so gentle, and good.  Baby is the most loving ferret.  I am afraid he'll
have something really bad.  I am hoping he'll get better, but so far the
only diminishment in the size of the lump seems to be a reduction in the
swelling caused by the aspiration, and incision.  He goes back to the vet
on Tuesday.

Wish us luck.
Dawn