From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 1994 16:13:40 -0500
FERRET FAQ FOR NEW AND PROSPECTIVE OWNERS
Compiled and edited by Pamela Greene ([log in to unmask])
(version 1.1, 1/31/94)

This FAQ is being distributed to the FML in about 20 pieces in order to
encourage your comments and suggestions.  I'd also be happy to send you the
whole file; it's roughly 75kB, but I can split it into smaller segments if
your mailer has problems with large messages.

*** PART 7 of LOTS ***

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

3. *** Things you'll need ***
3.1> What will I need to take care of my new ferret?

[begin TC]
You will need:

- ferret food [see question 3.4]
- a food dish (one hard to tip)
- a water dish (one hard to tip) or water bottle [see below]
- a litter box with a large cutout or ramp in front [see below]
- litter (little bb-size clay bits works fine) [see question 3.7]
- bedding (or let them sleep around the house) [see question 3.3]
- a cage (if you elect to keep them in one) [see question 3.2]
- ferret shampoo (or johnson's baby or whatever)
- a collar (toilet ball chain works great) and a little bell (so you
can tell where they are, and so they look like a pet if they get out)
[see question 3.8]
- pet claw clippers [large human-nail clippers work fine too]
- toys (ferretproofed) [see question 3.9]
- a veterinarian.

[begin PG]
Also:
- Linatone or Ferretone, if you can find them (see below and question 3.5)
- Bitter Apple or something similar (see below)
- a box or basket to be a bedroom (see question 3.2)
- a harness and leash (optional) (see below)

Ferretone and Linatone are similar vitamin supplements that nearly
every ferret loves.  (See question 3.5 about supplements, and 3.6
about treats.)  Bitter Apple is a bad-tasting liquid intended to stop
pets from chewing things.  You may want an H-type harness and a leash,
and you will almost certainly need more than one litter pan,
particularly if you have a large home.

I've found a water bottle to be much more convenient than a water
dish, since ferrets seem to love to play in, and tip over, water
bowls.  Small-size cat litter pans work fine, and for a travel cage or
shoulder bag you can use a Rubbermaid-type plastic container intended
for bread or ice cream (about 6 X 9 X 5 inches).  Make sure the sides
of the pan are at least 4 inches high, since ferrets habitually back
into corners to deposit their wastes and you don't want messes over
the sides of the pan.  However, one side of the pan should be no more
than an inch or two high, so your ferret can get in and out easily.
This is especially true for a young kit.