Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 09:38:24 EDT
Lisa Goggins asks:
>Please Answer...would you get more ferrets????

Lisa,

When I first made the decision to have Nosey helped across the Rainbow
Bridge this week, the first words out of my mouth were "no more ferrets!"
I have lost three to insulinoma, two of them so fast I didn't really have
time to even adjust to the thought that they were ill, let alone that I
was going to lose them.  I thought to myself how hard it was going to be
to finally say goodbye to my final three at some point in time, and I know
that time won't be forever off.  They are all six years old now.

Then I stopped and thought about how empty my life would be without at
least one or two ferrets in it.  So my answer to your question now becomes
a "yes, I will have more ferrets!"

All of mine have been rescues.  I haven't bought the first ferret.  I know
if I hear of a ferret that is in need of a home, my door will open to
him/her.  The only thing differently I am going to do is try to get in
touch with a reputable private breeder and get my next ferrets from them.
I will not have them spayed or neutered as young as the ones I have had
were.  My vet and I have already discussed this in detail, great detail.
We will spay or neuter them at 3 - 4 months of age.

And Lisa, I admire you for realizing how much it does cost to maintain
a happy and healthy ferret.  It is costly to properly care for one of
life's most wonderful companion pets.  I admire people who realize the
limitations of what they can and cannot do.  Maybe sometime down the road
this won't always be the case for you.

Barbara Laugesen