From:
"Mary L. McCarty" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 17:36:07 -0400
This is not a flame.  Repeat, this is not a flame.  I just had to add my
$0.02 worth.......;-)

For anyone who can guarantee me that their home is completely
"ferretproofed" (and we all know what an oxymoron that is) please disregard
this post.  Otherwise, feel free to continue reading.

>You said "it's no healthier for your ferrets to be not be caged part of the
>time; in fact, it's much worse".  While many on this list might keep their
>fuzzies' cages spotless, I have seen before ferrets being kept in filthy
>cages, the bottoms of which are littered and smeared with feces, mixed with
>food, etc.

People that keep their ferrets in this kind of mess MORE THAN LIKELY have
not bothered to try and ferret proof their homes. In all liklihood, the
ferrets are in as much danger being loose in that environment as they are
being left in their cages.

>Also, they can run around when I am sleeping or away, so they may not get
>as fat as they might otherwise

Ferrets sleep an amazing number of hours.  In my experience (and from what I
have heard from other more experienced ferret ownees), ferrets adjust to
your schedule.  My guys know that when 5:00pm rolls around (during the week,
but lots earlier on the weekend), Mom and Dad are walking through that door
or waking up and the ferrets are getting OUT.  If someone feels that they
can't give them enough supervised playtime, than maybe their lifestyle is
too busy to include a ferret.

>My ferrets have always been very amenable to holding and cuddling.  While
>much of this is due to gentle treatment and great attention, I believe some
>of it is that they are out all the time and go where they want when

In my experience, this doesn't hold true.  My guys are as cuddly or as
antisocial as their personalities dictate.  They are held and cuddled and
played with alot, but some are cuddly and some are not so cuddly.  It's all
in the quality of the time you spend with your ferrets.

>I suspect ferrets do not play much when in a cage.  They will play in a
>room or several rooms.

I agree that a "ferret" room is a great idea if you can't supervise them all
the time.  The older a ferret gets, the less they seem to play in the cage.
But again, I do not endorse unsupervised run of the house at any time.
Remember, even having a ferret room is not going to guarantee that no
accidents will happen.

>There are hazards even in cages.  In a cage, you can get your penis stuck
>between the bars (and this time I say this, I stress: I don't mean MINE).

Anytime you have a pet, there will be hazards.  Remember, nothing is
ferretproof!  ;-) The key is to minimize those hazards when you can't be
around.

>Those who are new to ferrets or get Jeans' book (which talks about caging
>as if there is no choice) may get busy and not play with their fuzzbutts
>much or take them out often if the fuzzies are off in a cage.

If a new ferret ownee is too busy to play with the fuzzies, than maybe they
shouldn't have a ferret.  Having a pet is a big responsibility.  Neglect is
not something that can be corrected by leaving them caged or uncaged.  A
neglected pet is a neglected pet, no matter how you slice it.

>Mine are housepets and at any time crawl up on the couch and see what I am
>doing, or cuddle with me and watch tv (Dors likes the nature shows).

Sounds to me like this is supervised playtime ;-) Mine do this all the time.
It's great.

I may be too much of a conservative, but I still cannot agree that
unsupervised run of the house, no matter how safe and ferret proofed it is,
is anything but a tragedy waiting to happen.  Ferrets are curious, they will
devise ways to get at supposedly ferret proofed areas that will boggle your
mind.  One thing that I've learned is that anything is possible.

Mary & Patrick ;-)

The Fuzzy Buttheads....
Fatso - "Where's my food dish?"
Skinny - "Let's play, you lazy bum."
Bear - "I want a toupee, Mom!"
Maggie - "Well, I need a whole new fur coat!"
Sweet Pea - "I want to play, play, play! 24 hours a day!"