From:
Carolyn Distel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:44:29 -0700
Wow - I can't believe that there are ferrets out there who won't use
one. I know mine came smelling strongly of the new plastic it was made
of but someone else has mentioned that. Every idea I have someone else
has already posted.

I have to say that my ferrets love it. They trap each other in it. They
run up to the top then turn over onto their backs and slide back down.
I've had an ongoing problem with Sasha curling up in the third level
up and going to sleep and not letting anybody through so I put it away
for a few weeks hoping to break her of the habit. It didn't work. My
ferrets love it and have now gotten to the point that they are climbing
up it on their backs.

Other FMLers have given out a lot of great ideas something should work.
Please believe though that ferrets usually love the Tower and can't get
enough of it.

Changing the subject:

I have a concern that I feel I should address and get feedback from
others on:

I got Sabine at Petco last June. She had been returned 3 times due to
biting and pooping. She was 7 months and things weren't looking real
good for her. I tried to get them to at least give me a deal but all
they would do was mark her down to 99.99. (Sounds terrible to talk of
a living being as though she were damaged goods. Sorry.) They looked
over the records they had on her and saw that she needed a distemper
vaccine. They said they "owed" me the vaccine and that their next
vaccine clinic was June 16th and if I brought her they would have her
vaccinated. I thought great a free vaccine and no office call fee so I
went.

They were vaccinating dogs, cats and ferrets including the kits they
were selling. I waited my turn and the vet gave her the vaccine. Great
or so I thought. AFTER injecting my poor Sabine without asking me first
he informs me he used a canine distemper vax because he had run out of
ferret distemper. I was shocked. I walked away wondering why he didn't
ask me first if it was okay. I would much rather have gone to my vet
and paid the $45.00 office call and $22.00 for the vaccine instead of
have him give her dhlpp. I think he should have asked me if it was
okay. This year I have a new, very ferret knowledgeable vet and he only
charges for the vax, no office call. I spoke with him about her being
vaccinated with the dhlpp. He said that the parvo vaccine can show up
as a positive on an ADV test. This means that if I want to attend a
show or other ferret event that tests for ADV or requires ADV test
results that I can't take Sabine. I would never give Sabine up but if
something were to happen to me or Sabine was somehow to get lost and
wind up in a shelter she could test positive for ADV when she doesn't
have it and therefore she would not find a new home. I don't know if
any of the shelters out there euthanize ADV positive but that could
also happen when she doesn't have it and only was wrongly given a dog
vaccine.

I also wonder how many of the other ferrets there were given canine
vax. What happens if they wind up in shelters? What happens if they
get tested and show positive and their guardian gives them up or has
them put to sleep? I'm worried that the vet will continue to do it and
how many ferrets could suffer because of it? I feel I should write the
vet a letter regarding the matter and his usage of the dhlpp and that
I should also inform Petco of what the vet did and the possible
reprocussions of his actions. Petco probably doesn't care what happens
to the ferrets once they're sold but I think the vet should be made
aware of the potential harm he could be causing for ferrets that end
up in shelters.

Am I overreacting or is it time I get into the word part of this
computer and tell the vet and Petco that the vet is making mistakes? I
don't want to offend him but I don't feel I should overlook the matter
as it may cause a lot of ferrets who don't have ADV to show up that
they do. I'm sure you'll all let me know.

Thanks,
Carolyn