From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 11:11:40 -0400
I don't like to crow "I was right!" but in lieu of that I will look
disapproving and smug, particularly when it's a vet admitting that the
problem is what I thought it was.  Particularly when the vet realizes he
made the wrong treatment choice and caused the animal being treated a whole
extra week of being in discomfort and getting the wrong meds.

Brief history: in late May Noodle became lethargic and started losing
weight; upon being taken to (a different) the vet bloodwork was done, a
short course of amoxi was prescribed, and nothing conclusive showed in the
tests.  Upon taking Noodle to the second (current) vet, more bloodwork was
done, a tracheal wash, xray, and heartworm test.  Xray showed anemia and a
slight few signs of infection as well as 'light densities' around the lungs.
Gastric ulcer was suspected and we made an appointment for two weeks later.
I started looking for dark, tarry stool - found it for the first few days of
treatment, normal stool only thereafter.  Noodle perked up quite a bit on
the flagyl and chloromycetin palmitate prescribed, but he didn't 'recover'
instantly.  Two weeks later we went back for more bloodwork and another
xray.  The xray showed the densities around the lungs had gotten worse; the
anemia was still present.  The vet took Noodle off the ulcer treatment and
put him on treatment for pneumonia, which I thought was a mistake - I asked
to keep Noodle on ulcer meds and the vet declined.

So, a week later (tuesday) we went back.  After starting the baytril (for
pneumonia) Noodle went back to being lethargic, with tarry stool.  Hmmm.
The vet did a fecal smear and bloodwoork.  The fecal showed 'spore-forming
bacteria,' and the bloodwork showed the anemia is under control.  Noodle
didn't get another xray this time; he goes back in two weeks for more
bloodwork and an xray.  Meds prescribed this time - amoxi and flagyl, this
time in a much higher dose.  And you know what?  He's perked up again.
Mighty fiesty today, in fact.  Sigh.  However, that visit was only $60.

So, tallying up totals: 1st vet visit: $70.  2nd: $190.  3rd: $140.  4th:
$60.  Or that's at least what I remember them being.  The moral of the
story, aside from the fact that Noodle, in two months, has cost me more than
what he cost me for food/vet/care all last YEAR, is: have them do a fecal
FIRST when you suspect ulcer.

Of course, the bacteria that cause ulcers (at least I've read) don't always
show up in the stool; but if the ulcer is bleeding you will be able to
detect digested blood.  And yes, xrays are damned well useless in detecting
ulcers (although we did catch on to the fact that the depressed immune
system caused by the ulcer has likely resulted in a secondary infection in
the form of pneumonia).

NOTE for all of you skimming through postings: Noodle likes flagyl.  Takes
it straight.  Without complaining.  Also note for those of you who are
interested - a combination therapy of goldenseal, raw garlic, and licorice
root can be used to treat H.  pylorii - heavy on the first two ingredients,
don't use goldenseal for more than a week straight ('heavy' means 2-3 drops
per dose)

Melissa
 ___ Melissa Litwicki __ [log in to unmask] ___
 By the whole newsgroup devoted tennis showing
     it after scarfing fork and laughters