From:
Brad Laraway <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1993 15:53:01 -0500
> The first is about ferret/human play.  Since I don't
> want the fuzzies biting anyone anytime (ever,) I was
> wondering what kinds of play you all have been taught
> by your little ones that don't involve biting.

        Well almost all the rough and tumble games you can play
with a ferret can be with friendly nipping or without.  Case is
always a fun game, that and hide and seek.  You must remember, a
ferret has a short attention span.  Playing ball with a ping-pong
ball or a small ball with a bell in it is fun.  Be carefull do not
get the cage like plastic balls for cats with the bell in it.  My
ferret Sebastian almost ate one.  He crushed it like it was cat food.
If I wasn't there it may have caused an intestinal blockage if he had
the chance to swallow some of it. Alot of cat toys are not strong enough
for ferrets.  I use puppy or small dog toys.

        On this note I found out my ferret Mako likes Tic Tacs.  He
got on my coffee table and crunched up a box of them. Plastic and all.
I don't think he ate any plastic but I am keeping a very close eye on
him.  I guess you never know what a ferret may think is a treat. So
always be carefull of what you leave around.

> Second, I am a little concerned about the ferret/ferret
> play.  They really go at it!  Usually Sangpo wins, as
> he's bigger and a little older.  What I'm concerned
> about is what 'wins' means.  Sometimes he grabs Dolma's
> skin and shakes and twists and pulls it with her
> whimpering all the while, and on and on...  Sometimes
> one will bite the other's _nose_! (hard)

        As long as there is no blood shed usualy there is no problem.
Sebastian is alot bigger than Mako and will get Mako by the neck and
twist till you think Mako's head will come off.  But never a drop of
blood and they are inseparable.  If I lock one up for disciplinary
reasons the other will sit in fornt of the cage and pout till I let
the other out.

> Third, and last, I was wondering if anyone has
> considered creating a ferret news group under rec.pets.
> With greater than 330 readers, the interest shown by

        This question has come up alot.  Your best bet if you
want a quick answer is to post to both groups.  If you look
at it sometimes it will take a week for your question to get to
every one on rec.***  It all depends on how close you are to
wich ever system you're posting from and wear you get your answers
from.  You may just want to get a few addresses from this list
and make a mail alias.

        Welcome to the wonderful world of being owned by the greatest
pet/four legged children in the world.

> Laura McDonald
> Smokey, Bandit, Allie, 'Possum, Felix, and Hershey

        Sorry to hear of your loss.  My best wishes to you and family.

> One of my two ferrets vomited twice this morning.  He's pretty normal in
> his diet: Pro-Plan Kitten Growth formula, Linatone and Nutrical
> as treats, soap when he can get it, the odd wool sock (his abiding
> passion, especially when there are concomitant toes).  After throwing up,
> he went outside with me and played in the grass quite normally, and then
> went to sleep.

        Just keep a very close eye on him.  Make sure he doesn't get
dehydrated.  If he show's any sign of dehydration get him to a vet A.S.A.P.
Your ferret could die with in 14-24 hours if there is a intestinal blockage.
If by the time you get this mail your ferret is still sick please take him
to the vet, even if he is not dehydrated.

> is it they have to be hidden from -- the person at the check-in desk, the
> security people (I don't want them X-rayed!),

        Don't let your ferrets get X-rayed.

        When I baby sat my Uncle's dogs, years ago.  One of the dogs was
so afraid of lightning that you had to give him "DOGGIE DOWNER'S"  I'm
sure if you wanted your ferrets to sleep threw a plane ride your vet
may have a "FERRET DOWNER".  Although wouldn't it be easier to just make
sure you can take them with you. " I KNOW THIS IS JUST A DREAM. AFTER ALL
FERRETS ARE WILD, VICIOUS, RABID ANIMALS.  MY EX-LAND LORD TOLD ME SO"

        GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GOOD WEEK ALL.

        Brad, Sebastian, and that tic-tac loving ferret Mako.

        P.S. Sorry for rambling on.  :-)  And as you all know I can't
spell even if my life depended on it.