From:
Gail Elsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:54:34 -0500
Hmmm, can I say this without being negative?  I will try.

First, why?  You are called?  Ok.

Does your area need a shelter?  If yes, is there a shelter nearby that
already deals with ferrets?

Have you ever worked, not 1 day a week or a couple weekends, at a
shelter?  I mean, daily.  So you see all aspects.  If not, volunteer
and learn from there!

Do your LEGAL homework and get your license before starting!  Oh, no
license needed in your area?  Get your tax status in order and make sure
you won't be breaking any laws!  I am honestly going to tell you this is
a major PITA!!!

Get your forms and documents in order!  What forms?  The surrender,
adoption, foster, etc. forms!

How are you going to deal with ADV, distemper, etc.?

My advice?  Find a shelter that is currently operating and learn form
them!  Become a foster family, then an extension, then a shelter.

Gail
Have a ferret?  Want one?
Need and iguana or other herp?
Needhelp placing one of the above?
www.scalesandtails.org
"I need a map of your head \ Translated into English \ So I can learn
to not make you frown..."--Incubus