From:
Karl Brodhecker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 01:35:43 -0700
For anyone interested, FIRST has just completed the "Recommended Code of
Practice for the Care and Husbandry of Ferrets," a set of guidelines for
large and small scale breeders, pet stores, transporters, shelters, and
anyone else with an interest in ferrets.  The booklet, 24 pages, is
intended as an instrument to protect ferrets throughout the various
possible stages of their lives.  In particular, it contains material for
animal protection groups to evaluate the suitability of housing, care, and
health of the animals, with sections on illness, disease, and physical
examination by non-medical people.  It is being used by the BC SPCA for
this purpose and will be distributed to other organizations shortly.

If you are interested in receiving a copy, contact FIRST with a mailing
address.  A small donation to cover production and mailing costs would be
appreciated.

Also available is a list of veterinarians who responded to our inquiry for
ferret-familiar vets in the province.  This will be posted on our website
(now only seven hours away from update, so they say) or it can be faxed to
those interested.

Ferret Information Rescue Shelter & Trust Society
FIRST (Ferret) Society
A Charity for Ferret Welfare in British Columbia
Contact:  [log in to unmask]  URL:  www.ferrets.org
Tel:  604.263.7481  Fax:  604.263.0314