From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 04:16:59 -0500
Debbie:

>We might adopt a 4+ year or older ferret in the future. Can you tell me
>how well this would work with 1 1/2 year olds to 8 month olds? I know each
>ferret is real different. Wondered how well this would work? I appreciate
>all your responses. Yes, we would get one from a shelter.

You hit the nail right on the head.  Yes, each ferret is (or can be) very
different from the next ferret.  The best thing to do is try it and see.
Your ferrets may have never seen an older ferret (other than their mom and
dad) and might have no idea how to reach.  It might all be ad lib for a
while.  On the other hand, the ferret you pick my not have any history
available and may react with a wide range of emotions when introduced to
your bunch.

The biggest problem when adopting older ferrets are these:

1.  The situation they were in before they went to the shelter
2.  Their length of time at the shelter
3.  Current health condition
4.  Previous health condition
5.  Previous living conditions
6.  Previous type of food(s) the ferret had eaten
7.  Number and type of other ferrets (if any) in previous living situation
8.  Treatment at previous home
9.  Level of depression of said ferret
10. Acceptance of your home by said ferret
11. Acceptance of the new ferret by your current ferrets
12. Difference in routine from what the new ferret has been used to.

There are just *some* of the things that can affect how a new older ferret
might react in your home.  In some cases, they just slide right into a home
like they had been groomed for the position.  In other situations, nothing
in the world can help them adapt to the new lifestyle.  Most others will
fall somewhere in between these extremes.

I would suggest that you take your current fuzzbutts to the shelter with
you and see if they can get along with any of the ferrets you are thinking
of adopting.  If you can get one (or two? :) ) older ferrets that interact
well with your current kids, you may have half the battle won.  Your
current ones can help the new arrival adapt much easier that any other
method known.

Hope this has been of some help.

Todd and the Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns.

---