Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 10:21:52 EDT
I recently received my ferret Visa bill.  For one month of fert related
stuff it was $2,96.00.  This was for Tiger and Wolf getting 3 different vet
opinions, with exam and new blood tests each time, the x-rays, surgeries, 4
cases of A-D cat food for all the wee ones, 2 osterizers [1destroyed
chopping bones]2 medical books on ferts, some of Chewy's emergency vet
visits, his nebulizer, herbs that go into chicken soup, and Innova cat food
kibble.The Surgery, 3 days stay in vet hospital, and meds for 2 adrenal
ferts was close to $1,600.There was another almost $500. on work up needed
prior to surgery.

Chewy and Baby were almost another $1000.  in vet bills the month before.
We were rushing to vet once or twice a week, and trying multiple meds for
several months before Baby came back from comatose state and before I got
nebulizer and air filter system so Chewy could breathe.  Air filter system
will show up on next months Visa with another $100 for 2 extra filters.

These bills don't include shelter donations, or costs of toys, litter,
washing, cat food, or food for deer and other animals I feed:just ferts.
Don't include massive cleaning supplies needed either, which is another $60
or more a month for all the paper towels, Lysol, bleach, carpet cleaner,
and extra carpet remnants i need under litter boxes[cause they rub their
butts on floor after pooping]

Petco is NEVER GOING TO TELL YOU THIS STUFF.  Nor is any other pet store.
Educate them to teach this???In a pigs eye.

Tiger is still losing fur after surgery.  Bilateral adrenal problem here.
He was the one starving to death at dirty pet store where he was kept with
several dozen furts in a pig trough, and was SO tiny, his entire body fit
in my hand.

So many of you seem eager to make this intelligent, complex, sickly, costly
animal { that needs room to run and play-despite many keeping it in a
bedroom forever- that needs variety, despite being given the same food
forever and locked in a cage by many} a house hold pet : to be abused by
millions and ultimately euthanized.  You know that no pet store is going to
educate the public on the horrible, expensive medical problems, or on the
ferrets need for room, fresh air, excercise,diversity, contact with others,
fert proofing, privacy,etc....

Yet Another shelter closing that we are reading about on FML?But don't
worry about ultimate euthanasia for ferts??Alicia is at the point of
exhaustion and without necessary funds??

Go out into the world with your fert and just listen to the thousands of
sick things you will hear said by nice well meaning people on how they
dumped their ferret.

Shame on those of you wanting this precious being to be "popular" in the
public eye!!

Little sleeps in the top drawer next to me as i type.  He poops on
everything, is deaf, and going blind.  I can't change this.  How many
would still LOVE and RESPECT a fert like him??And when he gets sick-what
shelter will you dump him in???

GET REAL

Lisette