From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 13:27:31 -0700
Hi Jennifer,

I think the majority of California ferret owners simply keep a low profile,
and never have any trouble with Fish & Game, or any other law enforcement
agency.

The worst trouble I had was when a crazy (I mean, off her medication crazy,
not just peeved) ex-girlfriend threatened to burn down my house (which was
near hers) and turn in the ferrets, so I just moved a few towns away and she
left me alone.  I have heard of people having trouble with the neighbors,
too, so none of my new neighbors know that I have ferrets.

The most annoying thing about living here is that Grendel *loves* to go out
for walks, and he only gets to go out very occasionally, late at night.
It's tempting to move back to Washington just for this reason.

We'll see how legalization proceeds--maybe you won't have anything to worry
about by August or so.  As for bringing ferrets into California, it can be a
fairly low-risk activity if you do a little research first.  Back-issues of
the FML have some helpful info.  If you can't find what you need in the
archives, queries to the list (or me) usually bring answers.

Dennis
P.S.  Call Governor Wilson's office at 916-445-1455 if you'd like him to
change his stand (he opposes legalization of ferrets).  That could help
ferrets become legal by the time you get here.  Tell the staffer you're from
out of state, and would like to move here and pay taxes, but you can't as
long as ferrets are against the rules.