From:
Tracie Belongia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:48:54 EDT
Marlene Blackburn is having trouble mailing to the FML.  She is fixing
the problem, but for now, I'm sending her mail.  Her email address is
[log in to unmask] Tracie Belongia

>CC: "Debra Phillips"
>Subject: Re: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 08:58:39 -0400

Dear Marlene:

Thank you for contacting Marshall Pet Products.  We appreciate the
information you have provided.  I am passing this along to the
appropriate sales representative.  However, I would like to clarify one
point.  Monique was refunded her money due to the ferret having a severe
upper respiratory infection.  Unfortunately, UR symptoms do mimic
distemper.  If, in fact, Eden Farms "lost a whole batch of ferrets" to
distemper, it was not bought to my attention.  In the time I've been
employed here, we have never had a proven positive case of distemper in
one of our ferrets.  I hope this information has been helpful and thanks
again for contacting us.

Best regards,
Marshall Pet Products

Dear Marshall Farms,
I am writing as a concerned Shelter operator from the Richmond Ferret
Rescue League.  Wilcox Distributors is still shipping sick ferrets to our
local pet stores.  I know that in May 2002 you refunded Monique Carrillo
(Richmond, VA.) for a kit she had purchased from Eden Farms, Gum Springs,
VA.  because the kit was diagnosed by the Animal Emergency Care
(804-744-9800, Dr. Parker Nash) as having Canine Disptemper.  I have a
copy of the vet's prognosis report, as I know you have a copy also.
According to Eden Farms (Jack) he lost the "entire batch" of ferrets to
Distemper.  I was under the impression that there was a brief quarrantine
period involving Wilcox, but yesterday, Aug.  10, I personally purchased
a sick kit from Pet World, Chesterfield, VA.  (804-748-3620).  She was in
an aquarium coated with dried yellow mucous from her nose.

I do not make it a habit to purchase any ferret, as we (RFRL) currently
have 70 ferrets between our 3 branches here in Richmond, VA.  But when I
asked the shop owner if she would reduce the $129.00 price since this
ferret was obviously ill, she replied "No- because we just return the
sick ones for a full refund." Which means this kit would die.  She is
responding well to Amoxicillin and probably just has a nasty cold.  But
the shop has another sick kit.  And If this shop has sick kits from
Wilcox, so do other shops.

I worked at PetTails in Midlothian, VA. for a short time last September,
and I saw how Wilcox ships their ferrets- in styrofoam containers
approximately 10" x 18".  They are shipped with small holes punched for
air with raw potatoes in the containers for a source of "water".  No
food.  No actual water.  Just raw potatoes- the same way they ship
crickets and mealworms.

I am begging you to please look into the way Wilcox cares for their
animals- or possibly stop shipping ferrets through Wilcox until they have
a healthy facility.  I respect Marshall Farms and think your ferrets are
well-bred, well mannered and have excellent dispositions, compared to
some of the "breeder" ferrets we have turned into the shelter.  I have
met some of your staff at the H.H.  Backer trade shows (and other trade
shows) as I worked for Premier Pet Products for several years.  You
produce nice ferrets.  I am not a big promoter of Path Valley Ferrets, as
they have the same amount of illnesses and diseases as any other ferrets.
I know you are responsible for our having an FDA approved ferret rabies
vaccine.  So please do not mistake my letter as any slur against Marshall
Farms.  I applaud your efforts.  I am frustrated with Wilcox Distributors
and can only hope you might be able to help save some of your own
ferrets, and save the folks who buy these sick kits from the grief they
experience when they lose a precious baby.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  I am open to any
suggestions and will help in any way I can.

Sincerely,
Marlene Blackburn
Director/Richmond Ferret Rescue League