From:
Patricia Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 15:22:23 -0700
Hello Everyone,

A couple of months ago, the night before a nasty snowstorm, a creamy
little fuzzy boy appeared on my doorstep.  Now, I knew that all the
cats, dogs, and horses had my number, but ferrets?  Anyway, I brought
the little man into the house and made him a warm bed in our super,
extra-large dog kennel.  No one responded to any of our ads, and this
little fellow has made himself quite a home in our hearts.

Not knowing a single thing about ferrets, I've been soaking up
information for a couple of months now, but I do still have some
questions.

a) Is there any way to guess one's age?  This guy has definitely gotten
bigger since he's been with us.

b) What color would he be considered?  He is mostly creamy-colored with
brown and blackish hairs along his back, but his front legs and shoulders
have turned gray (looks like he's wearing a middy T-shirt) and he
definitely has red--not dark--eyes.

c) He absolutely refuses to eat anything but Meow Mix cat food.  Totally
turned his nose up at Ferret food and won't try anything else.  He does
LOVE his Ferretvites, though.  Will a diet of Meow Mix hurt him?

d) He seems to be a lazy boy.  I've seen almost none of the behavior
that's been discussed in the various ferret sites.  He does occasionally
attack my slippers and go jumping off sideways, but he's pretty laid-back
otherwise.  Is this normal for some ferrets?

e) Is it only females that are affected by the adrenal gland thing, or
males too?  And how do I find a vet knowledgeable about ferrets in a very
rural area of South Dakota?

All in all, he's a wonderful little fellow, and I count my blessings that
he chose my doorstep that cold night.

Thanks From A New Ferret Mom,
Pat