From:
Connie Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:25:59 EST
My boy, my joy, my gift from above -- Butch is gone.  I helped him to the
bridge at 6:20 AM Friday, February 13th.

Sandee and Sara, I don't think you'll have to help him find Maggie and
Chloe, I know they were there waiting for him.  Butch and Maggie were
lifelong companions and were together 6 years when Maggie left us last
September.  Butch and Maggie would have been with me 5 years in March.

Chloe was only with us 9 months but she loved Butch, she looked up to him
since he was the big brother.  After Maggie left she tried to hard to be
the 'Alpha' and take care of HER ferrets.  And Butch let her.

Butchie had been slowing down but was still trotting around, eating and
enjoying his plastic bags (even after that horrible accident on Christmas
Eve day) but I noticed on Monday night something wasn't right.  All I
could think he was considering going to the bridge.

Thursday night he couldn't seem to walk very well but regained his
balance.  Since he'd just piddled on the kitchen floor I thought heed
slipped.  Something told me that this could it my final night with him.
I put some soft music on, and sat with my big guy and we talked for a
long time.  We talked about the bridge, how Maggie and Chloe were there
and that it would be OK to go ahead and go if he needed to.  CB and I
would miss him but we would understand he had to go.

We all went to sleep until about 3 AM when I heard him crying on the
floor.  He couldn't walk and had pooped on himself.  At 5:30 AM I knew I
couldn't wait for our vet and took him to the emergency clinic.  The vet
there was wonderful and Butchie made his transition in peace with me
holding and talking to him.  Butchie, no more vet visits and being poked
to see what your BG is this month.  No more nail clipping.  You can dine
at the Ferrivite River and have raisins again.  You're with your girls
big man Butch.

Connie and CB
Missing Butchie, Maggie, and Chloe who are playing at the bridge.

"I am sometimes asked, "Why do you spend so much of your time and money
talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?
I answer, "I am working at the roots."
George T. Angell