From:
Erik Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:34:08 -0500
Greetings all!

I don't post much but I read this faithfully.  I haven't seen this posted
and wasn't able to find an answer in the archives.

I recently acquired a cat (as yet she has no name).  She's healthy and
happy but not yet spayed (she has an appointment in three weeks - when
she gets her vaccine booster shots).

I've let her interact with my 3 ferrets (under supervision of course) and
they seem to get along well.  My problem is the litter box.

When I first got the cat, the ferrets had three litterboxes in the two
rooms they are allowed in - one large and two small (the large is the
largest cat-sized pan they make).  The cat would use the big one and
sometimes the little ones.  The problem is that the cat sometimes would
"miss" the little ones and instead pee beside them.  Fortunately for my
carpet, the litter boxes rest on plastic carpet protector.  The problem
is not often easy to detect (by sight - by smell it's easy) because the
pee seeps under the box.

Anyway, I thought those boxes were too small - so I replaced them with
big boxes.  I still have the problem.  I'm getting tired of soaking my
litterboxes and carpet protectors in bleach every few days.  Has anyone
else ever had this problem?  I get the feeling that if I only had one
litterbox (a covered one in the bathroom) for the cat, I wouldn't be
dealing with this.  Could it be related to her "whole" state (soon to
change)?  I've read that female cats sometimes mark when they're in heat.
But the amount of pee seems less like marking and more like elimination.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Erik, Streudel, Brandy, Moby and "Kitty X"