From:
April Armstrong Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 18:49:23 -0500
>From: Jessica Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fervac-D Vaccination Nightmare-We Need Your Help!
>
> ....In light of what we have learned on this long day, the Pensacola
>Ferret Rescue Inc.  is starting a petition for legal action against
>United Vaccines Inc.  We want to gather the information needed to force
>them to take Fervac-D off the market because it is unsafe.  We have
>already sought legal counsel on this matter and were told that if a
>petition with enough names was collected, something could be done.
>In order to do that, we need all of the information we can get about
>ferrets who have had similar reactions to the drug.
>
>Please take a few minutes to give us your contact information and
>personal experience.  Please help us stop this from happening to
>another sweet innocent ferret.  Please go to
>http://www.weloveferrets.com/?page=fervacpetition
>to submit any information you may have about this vaccine's danger....

Were any of these ferrets pretreated with Bendaryl?  Reactions to Fervac
are not unheard of-when you say your vet wasn't familiar with reactions,
did you mean the severity and number of THESE reactions, or any reactions
to this vaccine in general?

FYI, two of my five just had reactions to their RABIES vaccine (IMRAB3),
but have never had Fervac rxns, which is more common.  I pretreat all my
guys w/1cc oral Benadryl and give rabies and distemper vaccines
separately (so I know which vaccine they react to if any).

I know most ferret shelter folks probably pretreat w/Benadryl, but I
didn't know if these folks have.  The fact that ferrets react to rabies
vax, too, though, says more to me about ferrets and vaccine sensitivity
in general than just Fervac, but perhaps this was a bad batch to have SO
many reactions?

-April