From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 03:40:14 -0500
Risa asked:
>Has anyone found that they need to give insulinoma meds more often than
>twice a day.

Yes, we have had some who did better if the meds were distributed over
a 3X day schedule.  A vet told me years ago that Pred action is over a
9 hour period so it makes sense that some would do better with the
medication every 8 hours as long as the individual didn't have any of
the rare (in ferrets) steroid side-effects like ulceration.

Jeanie, do you have a biopsy which causes you to suspect
lymphoma/lymphosarcoma?  Ferrets' lymph nodes swell when the lymphatic
system is helping to fight infections, and the blood white cell count
also rises then -- sometimes substantially so.

With elderly ferrets if there is lymphoma present then Prednisolone is
usually the best approach.  We have had as long as 15 months with an
elderly on with lympho using that, but don't forget that you might not
be dealing with lympho so test, test, test...

There is a great pdf on lympho (from an article in the 2003 Ferrets:
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html

Volunteers have a tendency to work even when ill (after all, it's not a
business and if they don't work often no one will), *BUT* when things get
so bad that they can't then maybe in return for all of the marvelous,
marvelous gifts of their time and work which they give to everyone by
running shelters, providing education, running raffles, or whatever
perhaps -- just perhaps -- it makes sense to give them a gift in return
by being patient and wishing them a return to good health along with
thanks for all that they do.  Feel better soon, Tara!  You are special!

>(Thanks to Steve Crandall who brought this article to my attention.)

LOL, you got it form Steve.  Steve got it from me.  I believe that I got
it from -- TA DA!  -- the FML where a kind member mentioned it a few days
ago!  (Sorry, but I don't recall who it was who mentioned it but I think
that it was here and that someone else's work led me to the article and
my mention to Steve.)

-- Sukie
If anyone here has gotten the great photos purporting to be deep sea
fish washed up in the tsunami? I have not found the sources of all of
these photos, but I've come close.  A LARGE number are actually
photographs from
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/space/0306/gallery.unusual.fish/
content.10.html
and
http://www.oceans.gov.au/norfanz/library2.htm
Oh, and, yes, I sent the real sources to Snopes tonight so maybe in few
days after they wade through all their mail...