From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 06:51:46 -0500
To SOFA and FANG:

I know how frustrating and disappointing it must be for the both of you, but
your clubs are really 'young' and you need to give yourself some time.

Most clubs start out slow and small, and in the beginning when you have no
funds, it can be difficult.  There are several things you might want to try
to help draw members.

PROMOTE yourself - have a pamphlet or flyer made up and drop off copies to
every pet store, every animal hospital, animal control, humane society, etc.
Talk with some of the pet stores/vets and ask them if they would offer club
members any kind of discount.  You, in turn, could give them free
advertising in your newsletter.

One of the vets in town does $3.00 rabies vaccines for our members - this
has been a BIG draw for us, and he, in turn, has taken on many new clients
because of this (no exam - just the vaccine - but if you have 10 ferrets,
it's a real savings!)

Take some newsletters and drop them off at an animal hospital that sees lots
of ferrets - include an application blank and club info.  Register yourself
with animal control and the humane society - our local humane society does
not take in ferrets, however the WNYFLFA Shelter and Obadiah's Shelter are
registered with the HS, and anyone calling with ferrets to be turned in or
with ferret questions, is referred to the both of us.

If either of you are talented, (Kelleen - your angel pins, for instance)
make some stuff to sell - offer club members a discount.  This will proably
come later, though, unless you have some money upfront to work with.

Don't rely on the FML for members - the FML is just one source, but remember
how spread out everyone is - how many people from your immediate area are on
the FML?  Probably less than a dozen (just a wild guess on my part, no facts
or data to back it up)

Kelleen, I have your address - I'll send you some sample handouts - SOFA,
send me yours and I'll do the same.

Debbie Riccio
President, WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY

PS: TO WNYFLFA members on the FML: if you're wondering what has happened to
Ferret Chatter, it's coming!  Due to loosing both Mandy and Angel just one
week apart, I went into shell shock and got very behind.  THe next issue
will be on time, which means you'll get it 4 weeks after the one coming out
now, rather than 8 weeks.