Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 13:17:11 -0600
I'm a die hard when it comes to integration... I volunteer for a ferret
rescue and I have to tell you that integration is the topic that comes up
time and time again.  The most common problem that needs to be addressed
is calming the nerves of the humans, because the ferrets handle the
situation a whole lot better than them!

A number of vets here in town have told me that they have never had a
ferret die of injuries sustained by another ferret.  For the most part we
are talking about neutered/spayed animals, and ones that are definitely
healthy!  I myself have not seen this in 17 years of being owned by
ferrets.

1. Ferrets need a place they feel protected: Supply them with a box with
one hole cut into it.  Have a number of them, and have different sizes of
holes for each.  Tubes, cardboard and plastic are great as well.  In fact,
anything that gives the ferret the opportunity to protect the hind end,
while the front end can hold off the intruders.

2. Ferrets need to have an establish a pecking order: There will be an
alpha ferret but it won't necessarily be male.  Females are quite capable
of filling that position.  Lower positions on the rung will vary, and can
change day to day.  Every new ferret that comes into the home is
automatically bottom of the pile.  That ferret needs to find his/her
place to find a place within the group.

3. Screaming is natural: Ferrets are vocal.  How else do you let others
know that you are pissed off?

4. Biting that results in blood being drawn is natural: From what I
understand, the mating of whole ferrets can be much worse than ferrets
trying to get along.  There will be blood.  Get over it and deal with it
right now.  Ferrets are tougher than we think.

5. Ferret poop will fly: What would you expect if you only had a three
hour transit time through your digestive system?  Remember, it's flee
or fight.  When you flee, you have to get rid of what is not necessary.
Poop and urine are not necessary.  Poop will fly.  Have no doubt about
it.  It is non consequential and means nothing in particular.

6. Ferrets will hide for long periods of time: But know that they will
build their courage.  It is all a part of the process of the pecking
order.

7. Age is an unrelated factor in the ability to defend oneself: I had a
beautiful 11 year old female who could stand up to the bully we have in
our home.  She was a fighter to the end.  She was the only one he left
alone.

8. Do not set a time limit on how long the integration should take: It
could be an hour, a day, a month or two years.  These ferrets are like
people.  We need time to adjust to new people.... give them the same
courtesy.

Take note that you are not alone and that many people are nervous about
allowing their ferrets to potentially "get hurt".  Believe me, it gets
easier as it goes on.  Have faith that a certain level of peace will enter
your home.  You just need to be patient.  And you know you will always
have the support of those that have found their courage and taken the
leap.  Anyone is free to write me anytime.

betty and her blur o'fur