From:
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:19:55 -0800
>From:    Sherri James <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferret judging

Bill's response one this... And its lengthy.  Can we discuss this without
it getting into a "bash the other club"?  I revised my original draft of
this response to make sure I tried to not be guilty of that myself.

>There are so many questions......Can any of the judges out there on the
>FML help me out?

I'll try.  I'm not doing this in any official capacity for the AFA.  This
is my opinion and my interpretation not an official AFA statement.  The AFA
is not perfect nor am I.

i have reordered the questions to make the answer work better but I didn't
change Sherri's wording other than that.

>Hi, I would like to know how to go about either becoming a judge or
>gaining information about what judges look for in various specialty and
>championship divisions.

First a quote from the American Ferret Association web site:

http://www.ferret.org/overview.htm

  Judge's Training

  Anyone wishing to be considered for judges' training must send a written
  request to the American Ferret Association, Inc., Judges' Administrator
  for consideration into the Judges' Training Program.
  Send E-mail to the Judges' Administrator

  Each trainee must be sponsored by an AFA Senior Judge. Judges' training
  seminars are held at least twice per year.

  Each licensed judge must attend at least one training session in their
  license year.

  Trainees must attend at least one seminar per year but are encouraged to
  attend all seminars.

  Trainees are required to train under a minimum of three licensed AFA
  judges at AFA sanctioned shows.

  Please contact the AFA main office for more information - 1-888-FERRET-1.

This information is becoming a bit obsolete.  THe group of us judges are
trying to make the training program even better and with that are
rewriting some of these requirements.  It is intended I believe that a
much more indepth description of requirements will be posted to the web
site when that is finished.

>Do new judges go through an internship with another judge before they go
>it on their own?

Sort of.  In the AFA program as it differs a bit from the above now.

First a potential judge is "an apprentice".  The word isn't useed exactly
the same as it was back when an apprentice was a artisan or craftsman in
training.  This is the first stage when accepted into the program.  An
apprentice will learn not through rigorous training but more as a very
interested observer.  An apprentice will steward for at least three shows
with the judge evaluating the professionalism and effort put forth by the
apprentice to learn.  Some efforts beyond stewarding are expected.

The next stage is a judge in training.  At this point the trainee will take
on more responsibilty.  They will have been through some training in
seminars and will be expected to judge specialty rings as well as
specifically being trained 'under fire' with judges in championship rings.
They will steward but also work with the judge on skills of evaluating
specific aspects of the ferrets.  The judges will again evaulate the
professionalism, abilities and knowledge of the trainee.

After all of the other requirements have been met, the trainee will take a
test written and practical to demonstrate their readiness to be a licensed
judge.

So yes there is an internship and more with the AFA.

As I understand the LIFE program from people who have actually been a
part of it.  After attending a few shows you volunteer to steward.  After
stewarding at least three times you are deemed ready to judge specialty
rings.  After judging at least three specialties are are eligible to be a
championship judge.  There is talk of more to the program but so far that
still seems to be in the planning stages according to what I've been told.

I welcome the LIFE folks to improve my knowledge of the situation.

I was strongly discouraged from participating in a LIFE show as a
volunteer steward due to the 'influence I might have' on one of their
specialty judges so my information is very sketchy.

I no longer am up on what the GLFA is doing.  And I think that NAFA has
basically ceased to have any significant shows.  FURO and the IFA are long
gone and won't be coming back so their perspectives are historical only.