From:
Steven Markowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 1996 21:27:57 EST
Well, its been an interesting two weeks here in our house.  Two weeks ago we
brought all three of our kids to the vets for their annual checkups and
shots and stuff.  All were very healthy.  Mica had a reaction to her rabbies
shot (IMRAB).  Its the first reaction our vet has ever seen in a ferret.
Mica vomitted all over and the vet gave her a shot of benydryl and something
with and E that I can't think of.

Well, today Mica and Woody got their distemper shots.  Again, mica had a
reaction by vomitting all over about  1 1/2 hours later.  Again, shot of
benydril and that thing I forgot.

Now for the medical question.  Lillith couldn't get her distemper booster
because she's not doing too well right now.  Over the last two weeks, we
have noticed that she is napping more than usual.  We didn't think anything
of it since they sleep alot anyway but last night she was very lethargic and
stumbling.  Her back legs would suddenly go out from under her and she'd tip
over.  She wasn't going in circles or anything but she was deffinately
unstable and not able to move her backlegs properly.  We callled the vet and
as we had an appointment for first thing in the morning we decided to wait
until their appointment.

This morning she seemed much more awake is moving around ok but still
walking funny and occasionally loosing her balance.  She's eating normally
and I saw her take a good poop this morning.  We brought her to the vets and
the vet said she is deffinately walking funny.  She poked and prodded pretty
much everything without finding anything unusual.  She said that she doesn't
feel any swelling anywhere, no evidence of injuries, foreign bodies, or
tumors that she could tell by a physical exam.  She even tested her reflexes
in her hind legs (which was extremely amusing to watch.  I don't think I'll
ever seen anything quite like that again.) She feels it might be something
neurological.  She wants to do bloodwork and possibly exrays monday if she
isn't getting any better.

In the mean time, if any of you have any ideas what could be wrong, we'd
love to hear from you.

Also, Is there any other information out there about the green virus besides
the FAQ about it?  My vet has never seen any cases of the green meanies and
the only info she has is what I've given her.  She's pretty knowledgable
about ferret medicine and wants to be as up to date as possible.  It hasn't
been an issue for anyone up here yet.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Steven