From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:29:05 -0500
>Bert is now having toilet troubles.  He wakes up all the time tries
>to go, but nothing comes out most of the time.  Sometimes he even
>cries when he is trying to go.  He doesn't even try to make it to
>the litter box anymore (he is the one who ALWAYS used it when he was
>healthy).  I want to take him tomorrow to find out why he is having
>this problems and I like to go with more knowledge than the last time.

Bert is having these problems, almost certainly, because of an enlarged
prostate caused by the adrenal disease.  This is an emergency, and
something must be done about it.  There are many different options for
treatment of adrenal disease, and I recommend that you check out Dr.
Weiss's website on adrenal disease treatment options.

http://www.bradleyhills.com/
Bradley Hills Animal Hospital - Bethesda Maryland

 ---
>What I need to know is this: What are these medications for Adrenal and
>insulinoma.  What should I be asking for and expecting from my vet.

There is a generalized overview of insulinoma treatment available at
http://www.lbah.com/Ferrets/insulinoma.htm
Insulinoma

What you should ask for and expect from your vet, in my opinion, is for
him to not give up on your ferrets because of their age, but rather to
give you all of the possible treatment options and allow you to make
the decision of which way to go.  You should expect him to keep himself
current on possible treatment options for common diseases of ferrets, and
to be willing to look up and research options for uncommon diseases that
you may run across.  IMO, this is true for all veterinarians, no matter
which species they are treating.

If he is not willing to do this, then it's time to find a vet who is.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.