From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 15:22:06 EDT
I just held my hand to my mouth I was so touched by your post.  I could
visualize the whole thing.  I'm so glad you posted it.  We all love and
need such positive stories shared about ferrets.  I am so thankful that
you wrote about Michael.  He doesn't touch the ferret due to tactile
over-stimulation and defensiveness on his part.  That's okay!!!  It's
okay if he never touches the ferret.  But maybe in time he will.
Remember that touch is only one of the senses he is exploring his
relationship with and its no big deal whether he chooses to use it or
not.  Its great that he is able to enjoy the animal on his terms.  That's
the best way.  How does the ferret react to him?  Does the ferret seem
curious or notice him?  Or is it gregarious?  I was just excited and
curious.

I hope that Ferrets magazine does not get unhappy if I tell you all that
come this late summer/early fall they will be publishing an article about
this very subject.  Yes, ferret ferrapy has been around for a while, just
not recognized.  The first time I saw the term "ferrapy" was when Dr June
McNicholas (spelling?) from England used it in a writen piece about how
she utilized her ferrets' healing powers with her patients back in '98
(and she still does).  I have received more mail than you can imagine
from not just private owners who have had personal experiences with
this, but from various pet therapy people that have skillfully (and
very carefully) added ferrets to their programs.  So be on the look
out for this article.  There will be some things published that are
a "first". :)   Most importantly the article will take a look at the
cautions in using ferrets as they are very delicate creatures that can
be stressed easily.  I still have questions about this, and that will
be addressed in the article.  I implore people to not engage in formal
visitations outside the home or get involved with any program without
contacting their vets, local pet therapy groups and animal groups, and
other experienced ferret owners FIRST.  Let's also not forget these
animals are prone to stress related disorders (such as helicobactor
for one out of many examples).  I just wanted to post this for people
to take heed if they are thinking of having visitations.

For those of you who are intrigued by this subject and like to read about
it, there is a book coming out this fall.  It's part two of the Angel
Animals book that was out before.  It will be called: God's Messengers:
What Animals Teach Us About the Divine.  Sean and Rocky's story will be
in it as well as a photo of them.  I have not seen the end product but
I'm very excited to see a book about how animals help people.  If you
cannot wait, I can vouch for another book called "What Animals Teach Us".
It is fantastic.  It is filled with one short story after another about
how every conceivable animal that you can think of and how they have
helped various individuals during bad times.  And yes,,,,, Sean and Rocky
are in that one too.

Wolfy

Wolfy's site has MOVED to:
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/