From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 12:44:10 -0400
When he gets small pieces of hard veggies make sure that they are cooked
till soft.  Many ferrets like the sweetness of carrots but deaths have
resulted from pieces of hard veggies, hard dried fruits, or nuts -- any
of which can caused fatal blockages.

>Something's up with Switch and Sabrina.  Tonight they stole all the
>Allegra allergy pills and stashed them in their special place between
>the arm of the sofa and the wall, the place where they keep their
>treasures, including, of course, the beloved spark plug wire.

If this is real (not a joke) it could be FATAL.  There are a number of
meds that can kill ferrets -- both OTC ones and prescription ones.  I'd
have to check references that are elsewhere but I believe that Allegra is
on of the ones that destroys ferrets' livers.  If this is REAL and they
had access to the med itself rather than just the bottle contact both
your vet and the animal poison control folks now.  The addies for the
poison control website can be found at any time at
http://geocities.com/sukieslist

To call the ASPCA POISON CONTROL: 888-4ANI-HELP (888-426-4435)

It's an emergency hotline providing 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week telephone
assistance to veterinarians and animal owners.  The vets there rapidly
answer questions about toxic substances.  There is a $45 consultation fee
paid by the animal owner, veterinarian or product manufacturer.

Direct website addies:
http://www.napcc.aspca.org/
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=apcc (alternative addy
if the ASPCA Poison Control one doesn't work.)