From:
"Scarlet L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:41:21 -0400
Hi All,
I brought Cindy to the vet last Thursday to find out why she was losing
weight.  The vet ran some tests and did some ultrasounds.  He found a
couple of large masses in her belly and diagnosed her with lymphoma.  He
gave her a shot of pred.  and I am starting her on regular doses of pred.
He only gave her a few months to live.  If the tumors don't shrink with
the pred then he suggested that I have her put to sleep.  Of course I
broke down with this news.  My oldest ferret, CJ, just passed away this
May due to adrenal disease and insulinoma.  Cindy has been a little
better.  She's been playing with the baby ferret, Monsoon, and I noticed
that one side that had the tumor seems to be getting smaller.  Please
keep your fingers crossed for me.

Last night I noticed that my 4 year old ferret, Pete didn't seem himself.
I tried to get him to play and then he ran to the paper to pee.  He seem
to really be crouching and straining.  I wiped his belly off and then
called the vet first thing this morning.  The vet ran some tests on Pete
and when he came back he told me that he had more bad news.  Pete has
lymphoma too.  Plus he has a bowel infection.  His tumor is only on one
side and not spread out like Cindy's is.  He said that if his tumor
doesn't react to the pred as well then he too should be put to sleep.  I
am in absolute shock.  Pete has never had to go to the vets for anything
besides his shots.  He's not once in his four years ever been sick.  I
feel numb right now.  My babies are all sick.  Please keep Cindy and
Pete in your prayers and pray that the pred will shrink the tumors.
Thank you all.

Jennifer in AZ with Cindy, Pete and Monsoon
Forever missing CJ