From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:11:40 -0400
The worst for abuse of the animals are not the major farms, of course,
but the "backyard breeders", some large and some small.  These are not
the reputable private breeders, but the worst of the disreputable.
Anyone who has been on the FML a long time has read of too many rescues
and legal seizures from such places.  List members have read of places
where the rescuers found ferrets who have received no medical care,
ferrets in such cramped conditions that their muscular atrophy was so
extreme that they could not walk without propping themselves against
something, ferrets covered in tumors, ferrets so inbred that they lived
only a few years, starvation, and even dying and dead ferrets left in
with the others to eat.

In the work to shut down puppy mills and cat mills a number are on small
farms in certain states which do not enforce good animal protection laws.
Speaking as someone who had farmers in the family on each side it is
obvious that most farmers would not do this, but some do.  In that
situation there MIGHT be a way to tackle the problem.  These days people
are very afraid of zoonotic diseases (SARS, Monkey Pox, Avian Flu, etc.).
Even AIDS began as a non-human disease that spread into the human
population probably from the eating of bush meat.  Personally, I think
that might be a useful opening for shutting down the dog/cat/ferret
mill aspects of such farms.  I think that when there are enough of such
animals bred at these facilities (i.e. not small operations) that there
should be regulations or laws that the dogs, cats, or ferrets can not be
in contact or close proximity with other animals with whom they could
share zoonotic diseases.  For dogs, cats, and ferrets that includes
influenza types and mycobacterium types so the presence of cattle,
goats, pigs, chickens, ducks, etc.  -- the animals which form the heart
of farms and which matter more to retain -- would prevent having the
highly abusive pet animal mills found under such conditions in certain
states.

If you have not read about such conditions I suggest doing so.  It's
important stuff to know about.  Right now I am too busy to find such
materials.

>MF also is the ONLY ferret industry which has sent lobbiests to FIGHT
>the 8 week age of sale legislation in SEVERAL states ( someone supplied
>them the info so they could show up!).
>
>Path Valley Farms ( right form the mouth of the owner) has admitted
>they would NOT make 8 week kits available to retailers in states which
>adopt 8 week age of sale rule- so no they are no better!

When Maryland was trying to get an age limit people working there sent
me copies of PV and Pet Industry lobbying letters which had been shared
with them by the recipients.  Granted, that was not an 8 week minimum
age; it was older.

Farms and/or their employees objecting to changing to better APHIS/ USDA
standards for ferrets included: PV, Triple F, MF, and Carolina Ferrets.
One PV related letter was removed when the author found that he had
accidently also attached a letter about the personal behavior of one of
the farm people but a number of individuals snarfed and filed it before
removal as part of their files to keep track of the opponents and their
arguments.  There are also form letters there which were sent to stores
selling PVs.  To read the other letters go to
http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main
select Advanced search, Docket
Then put in APHIS for the agency and ferret for key word, submit
Click on APHIS-2005-0063

I have nothing against improving farm conditions and nothing against
increasing adoption rates.  Heck, I've worked for both over the years and
will continue to do so, but people have to be very careful to present
workable alternative to stores to not worsen conditions.  There certainly
ARE workable alternatives in some cases, such as stores not selling but
instead sending people to shelters and in the shelters in turn providing
coupons (originally from the stores) for price reductions for some ferret
supplies.  The combo gets homes for shelter ferrets, reduces store
purchases of ferrets, and rewards the stores by bringing in customers.
There obviously are some stores which just won't do that, though, but
some others which will.

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org