From:
Tina Femea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 09:12:05 -0600
Well, I'm now the proud new owned of 2 ferrets, Toggles (sable male) and
Slinky (silver female).  I bought them from someone who couldn't afford to
keep them anymore - they'll be 1.5 years old in Feburary.

Now, I have questions!

First - Slinky seems to get really, really frustrated with the water bottle
they have - to the point where, last night, at 3:30 am, she pulled it off
the cage wall.  I know they're getting water out of it - the water level is
going down - but they seem to want to chew the nozzle thing instead of lick
it.  I put a bowl of water in the cage instead, and she drank some, then
dumped it.  Any suggesions?  Do those water bottles for rabbits work better?
I work during the day, and I'd hate for them to dump the water out of a bowl
and not have any all day.  Also - she seems to drink _a lot_ - if she's
playing, she'll go back in the cage for water every 5 mins or so.  He
doesn't.  Is this normal?

Litter - I bought regular cat litter, and she seems to understand and use
it.  He won't.  Any suggestions on convincing him that that is the bathroom?
He goes right alongside of it... Has anyone in Houston found those wood
stove pellets that everyone on the list has been raving about?  I called a
half-dozen fireplace/BBQ places, and no one had them.

Food - The guy who sold them to me had them on 8-1 ferret food.  I've heard
that's not real good - but they both look healthy and have beautiful coats.
Should I try to switch them to something better, or just let them keep
eating this stuff at least for a few weeks until they get more settled in?

Cage/Bedding - they have a pretty big (2-level) cage, with a wire mesh
floor, and then a solid floor on the bottom a few inches below.  Right now
they have 2 towels and 2 hammocks in there - should I try to keep stuff on
the floor so the mesh doesn't hurt their feet?  If so, what?

Baking Soda - will it make them sick?  I've been putting it on the carpet
after cleaning up after accidents - and I'm afraid they'll eat it when I
have my back turned.  Is there something better to use to keep it from
smelling?

Petromalt - I bought some, but it only has dosages for rabbits and cats
marked on the package.  How much should I give them, and how often?

Well, I'm sure I'll come up with more stuff in the next couple days...

Thanks for any advice you might have...

Tina Marie