From:
Betsy Blaskopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 16:35:51 -0500
I wanted to respond to the reader whose ferret Rocky has an intestinal
obstruction.  Three years ago, one of my ferrets, Spot, had a hairball the
size of an almond in his stomach.  I learned that with hairballs or other
obstructions that the ferrets will no pass them or regurgitate them.
Unfortunately, we had to put him through a $500 dollar surgery.  After a
week, he began eating regularly and is now better than ever.  To avoid this
ever happening again, all of our ferrets receive Petromalt once a week (a
oil, or petroleum based laxative).  They especially get this during their
seasonal shedding.  It is important to realize that laxatives interfer with
the absorption of certain vitamins and medications, so don't give too much
or give it too frequently.  As for foreighn bodies, we try to keep all
rubber materials such as rubber bands, sponges, too soft chew toys, the
inside rubbery shoe liners, and other small objects out of fuzzy reach.  Our
ferrets have injested some of these items but luckily the objects were small
enough to be passed.

Ferrets are small animals and by time they show symptoms of illness it is
important to get them taken care of soon.  I hope all works out well with
your ferret.  I know that this is a difficult time for any animal owner, and
I wish you good luck.

                                Sincerely,
                                Betsy Blaskopf