From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 13:14:04 -0800
Hi,

Yesterday I spoke with someone running a shelter/breeding operation out
here, quite a large one.  (I will refrain from saying who, and will use the
the male pronoun as a generic reference reference.) He said a vet will soon
be doing tubal ligations on his jills!!!  I asked why.  He said that at
least four people had called asking if he had any way to "calm down", as he
put it, their in-season hobs.  This is where his idea of tying the tubes of
jills arose.  Thus, he could provide a service whereby people brought their
hobs to mate with these jills, thereby "relaxing" and "relieving the sexual
tension" of the hobs.  I asked him if he found that his hobs "relaxed" or
were less lusty after mating with jills (as my knowledge from talking with a
breeder pointed to just the opposite reaction of hobs to mating).  He said
he didn't know, adding this was a fairly new idea for him.  I pushed the
question and he admitted that hobs did seem just as lusty after mating as
before.  He contradicted himself, though, in adding again that mating a
rutting hob to a jill may still "relieve tension" for the hobs.

That evening I spoke with a well-known vet among us at the fml, who called
the practice of tubal ligations "immoral", said that some of the females
would die of aplastic anemia, and added that he firmly advocated either
breeding or altering.  I agree with all three counts.

My request is for people to write back their to me about their knowledge
ralating to this so that I can give the responses to this person (a way to
substantiate the bearing of the information, not assault the person), in
hopes of squelching this idea immediately!  Please be diplomatic, clear, and
factual in your replies, striving to enlighten rather than attack.  These
will be the most useful replies, and those I can pass on.  Please know that
your opinions will be respected as such.  Additionally, if you chose to post
your replies to the FML, and I hope people do, please cc: the replies to my
e-mail address, as it will make printing and saving them much easier.
Another message related to this follows.

Thank you and Sincerely,

Lynn Mc. and the Gang of Seven, Hungarian SO Janos, and Russian Blue
giant-cat Wellington (15-years young, who tiny runt Minnie adores chasing)