From:
Randy Ferret Aid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 22:08:36 -0500
This may sound strange, but i have to ask.  It's been a year since the
Paris kids came into all of our lives.  There are still four at the
shelter and two more are coming back due to some sad but not terrible
circumstances.  That will leave six of the twenty-nine Paris kids back
at the shelter for Christmas.

I still remember that fateful day at the Paris farm with Paige, Tina and
Andrew.  Lifting out dead bodies, holding half dead ferrets and such thin
kids i thought they were dead.  I remember coming back to the shelter
where Bonnie, Nigel, Lynn and a few others had cleaned and readied cages
for us.  I remember after getting the kids sorted out opening a large
bottle of vodka and sitting down with Bonnie and having a huge drink, it
was the 1st time i ever saw Bonnie take a drink.

Looking into the eyes of my volunteers that day, Bonnie who can't hide
how she feels, her soft, mothering eyes tell the story of the pain she
felt that day, Olympia who would never cry in front of anyone, her big,
doe eyes would just turn away, Paige, the strong, silent type who just
holds it all inside, Tina who gets angry when she cries, grumbling and
swearing through her tears, Nigel who tries to make sense of things and
rationalize his anger, Andrew who just asks why and continues to kiss
the ferrets so that none of the rest of us can see he's fighting back
his tears, Jennifer, though she couldn't be with us for the rescue part,
held me as i cried into my glass of tear soaked vodka and cried with me.
I'll never forget their eyes.  Knowing the pain i saw in their eyes
haunts me as much as the pain i felt when i saw what i did.

That day is so vivid in my mind though so many days before and since are
a blur.  These ferrets, like the ferrets of the 1998 New Years day rescue
have stolen a piece of my soul and since a few are still in my home with
me, they have stolen a part of my life as well :)

Last year was my 1st real Christmas without my mom and it was the Paris
kids first Christmas in a real home without cruelty.  Many of you were so
kind to send them toys, gifts, treats and help with bedding and donations
to help us spay and neuter them.  Because our shelter was so overrun with
ferrets as a result of this rescue, many of our volunteers decided to
spend Christmas with me and the kids.  It was truly one of the best
Christmas memories i have ever had and i never thought i would be able to
say that, especially without having my mother (and only family) with me.

This year, we decided to do it again.  A few of the volunteers have
decided to spend Christmas eve with me and the "kids" again this year!

My Christmas wish for these kids is simple.  It's nothing that will cost
you or me anything.  It will take a few moments of your time and mine.

In memory of the 11 ferrets who didn't make it out of the Paris farm
and in celebration of the 6 ferrets that are still at our shelter, i am
asking anyone that knows about this rescue (or if you care to know you
can learn by visiting www.ferretaid.org ) to please write them a little
note.  It doesn't have to be long.  Even if it is ONE word to let them
know you are thinking about them, one phrase, one sentence.  Then, on
Christmas eve, I'll print all your comments out and the volunteers and i
can spend some time reading to these super special kids.

Thank you for thinking of them and thank you for taking the time to show
you care.  Please send your thoughts to [log in to unmask]

Miss Randy Melanie Belair
President
The Ferret Aid Society
www.ferretaid.org <http://www.ferretaid.org/>

Join us for the IFC Ferret Aid 2006 Conference!
Book early, almost 1/2 sold out!!
http://www.ferretaid.org/events/ferret_aid_2006.html