From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:21:10 -0500
I got a letter from Alicia who seemed to think that I misunderstood her
intent.  I didn't.  Guess I was responding historically and didn't word
my note as well as I would have liked.  Over the life of the FML it's been
a place where people can find emotional support and help.  On the other
hand, I do know that it can sometimes get bogged down with sad or tense
situations, so think that she is right that it's been rather heavy
recently.

If I recall right Brian likes to update the _Ferret Poem Book_ which exists
to help shelters in the Spring (for northern climes -- autumn for all of
you who are standing on your heads), so what say we give him some new
material?

I am hereby announcing a NEW poetry contest.  The categories considered (by
my small mind so recall that my taste may be horrid) will be 1.  artistic
aspects and 2.  humor.  These will have to be poems which have not yet been
posted on the FML and I'll have to trust you on that score.  I also URGE
other people to come up with their OWN favorites and post that right on the
list to encourage further writing.  Poetry is to be posted on the list AND
to come to me privately.

OH, and I KNOW the haiku will for the large part be an approximation, and
that's fine by me; if someone with long or intense haiku expertise would
like to judge these for closet to real haiku that would be WONDERFUL!

The only thing I ask is that this time we lay off the tear-jerkers, please;
life's been heavy enough recently.

HEADS UP, BRIAN!