From:
Lili Peck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 1996 01:37:02 -0400
I would like to flog this dead horse myself since I feel the original poster
questioning the price of Totally Ferret has not received much support.  I
must preface this by saying that I currently feed TF mixed with another food
to my fuzzies and I definitely agree that it is an excellent food.  BUT I
definitely think that there is a legitimate concern over the price.  I have
"heard" that the reason it is so expensive is because of the high quality
ingredients, the fact that it is made/sold in "small" batches and the
research that went into it's creation.  I recently discovered a new (?) cat
food coming out of Santa Clara, CA called "Innova".  A close comparison of
ingredients and percentages of protein etc. show it to be AT LEAST as high
quality as TF if not superior to TF!  This food only uses the highest
quality natural ingredients (no corn products at all!) and is made/sold in
small batches.  Guess what!  It costs HALF $10/6lb bag) of what TF does.
Also, Mazuri is a fine food (though not as good as TF in my opinion) and it
runs about $1/pound.  HERE'S MY POINT: I am not destitute and I only have 2
ferrets to feed; I CAN afford TF.  I do resent, however, price gouging.  I
think that just because we love our ferrets and spare no reasonable expense
for them that we should check our brains at the door.  Perhaps spending more
than we need to makes US feel better than the ferrets!  This attitude,
especially in such a closely knit group as we ferret owners, could actually
promote gouging.  I see nothing wrong with questioning the cost of TF and
encouraging competition.  In general I think it is wise to remember that TF
is a profit making venture and has done well for itself by becoming involved
in the ferret community and supporting legalization etc.  I do think TF is
an excellent food but a bit of scepticism may not be a bad thing.