From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 18:56:14 -0500
Millicent Eidson, M.A., D.V.M., State Public Health Veterinarian and
Director, Zoonoses Program, State of New York Department of Health, Corning
Tower, the Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller Empire State Plaza, Albany, New
York 12237, (518) 474-3186: excerpt:
"...New York intends to follow the Committee's recommendations and has
taken the steps described below.

On November 4, 1997, a message was sent electronically to all county health
departments in New York State advising them of the Committee's conclusions
and directing them to consult with me in individual situations rather than
euthanize healthy ferrets.  Shortly thereafter, I initiated the process of
changing New York State regulations to specifically allow for 10-day
confinement periods for healthy ferrets.  It is likely that this regulatory
change will occur in 1998.  Finally, I have begun work on developing formal
written procedures and educational materials and presentations that will
assist county health departments with implementing the new Committee
recommendations..."

Sounds great and like there's a real ferret friend there!  Congratulations,
Bill, and all other New Yorkers!

Sukie