From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:14:56 -0800
>From:    Rachel Gay <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Waardenburg/Genetic Mutation

Your post is very good but shows the dichotomy between a scientific
description and a more pragmatic one.  I try to tread the line between
them (sometimes not very successfully).

>In genetics, there is no such thing as a flaw.

You are right from an analytical point but not so right from a practical
point here.  Some genetic material causes traits that are undesireable and
pragmatically that is a flaw.  There are circumstances where what appears
to be a flaw turns out useful in a different set of circumstances.  A
tendancy toward stubby paddle like feet would be deadly to a white tailed
deer but is essential to a seal lion.  Likewise the sea lion with long
graceful hooved legs might not swim very well.

But there is little to suggest that deafness is a 'good thing'.  It isn't
something people would want for themselves though people survive with it.
That would apply to ferrets as well.  Polecats might not do as well.

>What I don't know is if the gene is dominant or recessive,

Its more complex.  The visible expressions of white markings aren't always
the same.  There does to be some sort of degree component along with
simple presence or absence.  I don't know the proper terminology to
describe that obviously.

>I would argue that because of the prevelence of this set of traits in many
>different species, the trait may have been around since the beginning of
>mammals at all!

Persuasive.  That bit about degree of affection probably applies though.
Evolution doesn't cause the removal of all bad traits.  Just makes it less
likely that those with that trait will survive.  Being domesticated the
factors that would kill off those that are affected by strong Waardenburg
traits are not as likely to die and can reproduce.  The Waardenburg genes
don't always mean total deafness.  So its very possible that the genetics
exist in the wild polecat population but at a reduced rate and only in the
less severe forms.

>From:    Betty <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: A Question For Breeders...

Behavioral guess here.  Not a known fact...

>Why do alot of kits tend to eat by taking mouthfuls of food from the main
>dish and eating elsewhere, and why do they hiss when they eat?

I'd suspect this has something to do with polecats being solitary animals.

Ferrets inherit that solitary nature but with the typical juvenization of
domestic animals they retain the ability to get along with 'family' that
is essential for the very young polecats and thier parents.  Most of the
fighting over food seems to be from 'mixed' families.  Kits that are with
kits that aren't actually their family.

Eventually ferrets accept (at least most) other ferrets as their family.

The being messy than cats or kittens is just them being ferrets.  I've
not heard many people describe their ferrets as dainty neat eaters.  Not
heard about many messy eater cats.

-bill

--
bill and diane killian