From:
Jon & Veda Chalmers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:25:23 -0500
I think the person having serious landlord problems would be wise to
remove the ferrets from the property as quickly as possible.  While the
law is on her side, until the landlord commits an illegal act, nothing
will be done to protect her or her pets.  It would be very difficult to
get an order of protection preventing the landlord from coming over to
the house.  If he were to come over while she was at work and let the
ferrets out or even kill them, she would have to take him to civil court
to sue him for the value of her "property".  It is unlikely that he would
be arrested for removing animals from his property.  We had similar
problems in Missouri.  While the law may give tennants rights, they are
difficult to enforce.