From:
Natalie Fontane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 2009 08:01:27 -0700
I posted this on Wolfy's deaf ferret group, but I figured it would be
beneficial here.

I've never formally introduced myself, but my name is Natalie and I
make ferret toys & bedding. Last year, the CPSIA (Consumer Protection
Something Something Act) was passed to force manufacturers of any
products for people under 12 to test for lead and phalates (don't ask
me what the last one is). This law passed is only for items sold in
the US and requires makers to test each item for these dangers using a
third party company. Testing is around $400. No small business could
afford to do this, so after a lot of uproar, parts of the act have been
changed. For example, now untreated wood and all fabrics (thank you,
ferret gods) are exempt from testing.

I think I remember that phalates are what makes a plastic item soft and
bendy. So, most of our ferret toys are safe because we're not likely to
give them delicious, blockage-causing plastic.

I'm proud to say that all my pet products are exempt from testing, and
are according to the CPSIA, safe for children. I'd think any law passed
in the future for pets would not be more strict than one for children.
I understand that a lot of dog toys everyone might use for their
pooches are still under scrutiny, but your options are not totally
gone when it comes to great pet toys.

Natalie Fontane
www.scrivenersretreat.com
www.scrivenersretreat.blogspot.com