From:
Glenn Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 11:05:45 -0800
Are we losing track of the real issue by allowing the Michigan ferret
killing orgy to become a debate on the need for "more tests"?

My personal view on the value of ferret (or any animal) research and the
rea$on for it's existence in a supposedly civilized high tech society has
already been banned from this forum, but aren't we forgetting that other
states have adopted more rational policies toward ferrets and quarantine vs.
a "kill-on-sight" mentality.  Are they fools, courting disaster?  Of course
not, they are people who have looked at the hard statistics and come to the
realization that ferrets are not a threat to public health, and they did so
without the need for further testing.

Everyone knows why Michigan slaughters ferrets, the woman running Michigan's
DCH had her battle to defeat ferret legalization stuffed and she hates them.
But one would think that, eventually, even the most dense Michigan
bureaucrat would have to question the wisdom of continually trying to
manufacture ferret rabies hysteria when they've never found a rabid ferret.

The focus needs to remain on Michigan.  "Policy" is whatever you can get
away with.  With enough relentless, intense heat any policy can be turned
into yesterday's newspaper.  Don't forget that other states are watching.

Keep your fuzzies safe,
Glenn J.