From:
Michelle Alverson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 05:22:40 -0700
Part 1  9/18/03

This was too long the first time so here it is in two parts..
[I combined them into one here.  BIG]

It is currently 8:42 p.m. Wed. evening Florida time.

CLARIFICATIONS: This rescue is, thus far, going smoothly.  I am unsure
why I have gotten messages stating the opposite.  Things are as under
control as I believe they can be considering the situation.  The out
pouring of help is making this possible, doable, and manageable.  So,
rest easy- the bottom is not falling out and all is well.

Again, WE are NOT closing!!!  Just to be sure that is clear.

Next, a new rumor or something has started stating that there are 100
ferrets in Cocoa, Florida that have been seized and are to be euthanized
tomorrow.  I have no idea where these folks came from or who they are
that started this- but this is VERY untrue!!  I spoke with Marie and all
is good still.  I find it hard to believe there are two large groups on
the west coast of Florida that need help- and thus, I think these folks
are simply just misunderstanding the situation.

We are rescuing ferrets from Titusville, Florida.  NOT COCOA BEACH.  I am
not sure where the Cococa beach fact came from and it may have even been
me in the very beginning- but I thought I had clarified that.  If not--
please correct this on any board, site, etc.  For sake of a name we are
calling this rescue the Titusville Rescue.  There are no ferrets needing
mass rescue, that we are aware of, in Cocoa Beach Florida.  We have
helpers trying to clear this up.

LEGAL ACTION- please discontinue these posts and e-mails to me.  So
far no legal action is being taken and very well may not be.  The focus
of (my) energies and time are being sent on getting these ferrets to a
safer, more secure place.  I am NOT the one to make those decisions and
calls as I do not live in the area and am not as familiar with the
facts... So please no more flames ect.  in this regard.  I have no idea
if pictures have been or will be taken and again, this is not my area of
concentration nor control..

Ok- I think that's the latest on the misconceptions going on out there.

NEEDS: Transporters are still needed.  If you are in the area and can not
transport but can come and help that is still a plus as we need bodies
to set up carriers and put ferrets in them and get trucks loaded etc.
Please e-mail me under the cover of TRANSPORT HELP and I will e-mail you
directions to here (Orlando) and to Titusville.  Over planning is better
than under planning to us.

[Part 2]

After the weekend is over and we know EXACTELY what we are looking at- we
will have a special web page set up and will include where donations can
be sent as far as our vet's office, United, etc.  We will also know what
further supplies will be needed.  As stated earlier, any carriers and
water bottles that can get to us by early Friday morning well be needed.
Kitten Chow or the popular Wal- Mart kitten food is great.  I think we
have most every other base covered through the weekend as far as supplies
go...

The ferrets will all be staying here, at ferrets-N-Limbo for at least
2 - 3 weeks.  This will give us ample time to asses each ferrets' needs,
establish any special parings/groups that are bonded, ADV test, vaccinate
the healthy, and strengthen the weak.  It also will give the ferrets time
to recoup from the hardships they have had, learn to run and play,
acclimate normal life, etc.  etc.  After that isolation and observation
time has past, than we will begin arranging transport for these ferrets
to other shelters and screening for forever homes.  If shelters in other
states are able and willing to take in these ferrets, please contact
Ferrets Across America as they will be coordinating those efforts.

We have gotten much argument about ADV testing.  We appreciate everyone's
input and opinions.  I am glad to live in a country where we all get to
have our own opinions and are not forced to agree.  ADV testing is and
always will be our policy.  Funds will be begged for to go towards this
effort, but it will be done.  No, we do not have a wide spread problem
with ADV in Florida, yet I, for one, do not WANT an ADV epidemic in
Florida.  That said, we will not be testing any ferrets that are
compromised.  This point may have been made in a previous posting, but
I am still getting questions on it.  Any ferret that is obviously ill,
dehydrated, emaciated, etc. will not be tested or vaccinated until
healthy enough to withstand it.  These ferrets have all been living in
close quarters for a very long time.  If we do not test a select few yet
the results all come back the same on those we do test- we can all feel
confident that the entire group will test the same...  Please, this is
our policy and what we believe in.  It is a financial burden but if it
can be achieved via donations etc. it will be..

Hopefully, that's everything.  If I missed anything, I will try to post
again tomorrow.  If I have missed any calls or e-mails I sincerely
apologize and am trying to catch up.  If you feel the need- please
resend any questions etc.  E-mail is by far the better option
considering the hours I work (at my actual paying job.  LOL)

With love, respect, and thanks to the entire ferret community,

Michelle Alverson, President
Ferrets-N-Limbo, Inc.
A Non-Profit, 501(c)(3) organization

407-869-6981