From:
Sonya Grable <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 02:03:16 -0000

Tracey wrote:
>"mill" of bad offspring, and I have also heard sooo much this week about
>how the distemper vaccination can be so deadly and the importance of
>pre-med Benadryl and staying with the vet for an additional 20-60 >minutes
>to watch for reactions.

>I also took them in for rabies and distemper last night and had no pre-med
>and did not stay extra time as recommended by my vet.  Now I worried the
>ENTIRE time I was at the vet and was awake every 2 hours that night,
>watching my babies.  I think you guys made this such a hype and I wanted
>to give you my input.  I had a WONDERFUL experience.

Dear Tracy:

I'm glad your "babies" didn't have any problems with either vaccine.
However, for their sakes, I do hope that you reconsider next time.  An
extra hour could mean the difference between life and death for a fuzzy.
Sometimes it takes multiple exposures before one will react or become
allergic.  Usually, it's the canine distemper vaccine that causes problems
but some react to rabies, too, which is why giving each one separately is
also highly recommended.  Anaphylactic shock is a very serious condition
and can quickly become life-threatening.

More information can be found at the sites listed below:

FML archives
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html

AFA (American Ferret Association)
http://www.ferret.org/vaccinations.htm

Ferret health care (miamiferret.org)
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/distemper.htm

Hopefully some of it will be of interest, and also help you to worry less
and sleep easier should you decide to wait around the next time.

Sincerely,
Sonya