From:
Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1992 23:52:17 -0500
> Date:  Sat, 19 Dec 1992 01:20:03 -0500
> From:  [log in to unmask] (Urban F)

> Over here, conventional wisdom is that nothing we eat ourselves
> is dangerous in itself to ferrets. But most of it either has too
> little or too much of something to be really suitable.

It's pretty much the same over here.  Anything that's safe for us
(with a few possible exceptions such as chocolate and onions) is
alright for ferrets *in moderate amounts*.  As long as you realize
they are treats, and the vast majority of the diet is still ferret/
cat food, s/he should be alright.

Some guidelines:

No chocolate -- some argue that there's never been studies to confirm
that chocolate is lethal to ferrets.  But we all know just how
many studies have been done on ferrets...  Since chocolate is
lethal to dogs in such amazingly small quantities, I strongly
suggest you don't give it to your ferrets.

No onions -- Again, I've never heard any ferret-specific information
on this, but they make dogs anemic.

Minimal salt -- ferrets don't sweat, so they shouldn't get too
much.

Minimal refined sugar -- it's not good for us either.

Minimal cow's milk/dairy products -- it gives them diarrhea, which
can cause dehydration very quickly in ferrets.  Goats milk is O.K.

Watch fat-soluble vitamins, A, E, etc. -- they build up in the system
and become toxic.  No more than 2-3 drops of Linatone/Ferretone a day!!!
(Note:  they are beneficial in small quantities, don't stop giving
it altogether)

No raw meat -- parasites.  (although this fits into the "don't give
it to your ferrets if it's no good for you" rule, many people for
some reason give raw meat to animals anyway.)

Those are the most serious ones I can think of off the top of my
head.

Happy Holidays!!!

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
                      Owner of Percy & Bree