From:
Pauline Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:43:56 EST
After seeing some things posted about distemper and places that it
affected, I typed in distemper outbreak (general search - dogs, cats,
ferrets, etc) and I was surprised at how many outbreaks there were not
just in the US but several other countries as well - a lot of places
have been affected.  Now most of the reports were on animals in general
or mentioning cats and dogs but then again, most news reporting back in
the day and recently seemed to have forgotten that ferret people also
want to know if there were ferrets affected.  Though us ferret people
are friendly and warn others if ferrets were contracting distemper.  But
any how, I thought I would list what I found, of course, if you want to
search "distemper outbreaks" and then read the articles and links, you
can do so, I am just going to list what I found in a quick 10 minute
search.

Chicago (IL) - 2004
California (mostly in southern, CA) - 1995, 1999, 2002, 2003
Walden (NY) - 2004
Colorado and New Mexico - 2005
Minnesota and St. Paul - 2005
Columbus (OH) - 1996
Colorado Springs (CO) - 2004, 2005
Kentucky - 2005
Florida - 2004
Maryland - 1992, 1993
Portland (OR) - 2003
Vancouver (WA) - 2005

There is also a nice link of which I though would be helpful to those who
might suspect distemper, what signs are and what they may look like:

http://jvi.asm.org/cgi/content/full/77/23/12579

Sorry I didn't have time to cut and paste every link, but if you search,
you will have more than 10 mins of reading time.  I just found this
interesting that so many places are affected.