From:
"Lisa Leidig - The Ferret Haven \"By-the-Sea\"" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 1998 18:39:51 EDT
Jenna

Normal Disclaimer: I am not a vet, and I am not trained in Veterinary
medicine - only a shelter operator.

In order to help you, we would need to know the cause for Vinyl to have
stopped eating - the name of the medicine may have also given us insight
into what the vet may have been treating him for.  My personal opinion is
that something upset Vinyl and now has an ulcer in his stomach/intestines
that is causing him nausea and diarrhea.  The black runny stools are pretty
indicative of digested blood.

He falls over and tires easily because he has no energy - from not eating
enough.  Its a pretty vicious cycle that our ferrets can fall into - they
stop eating (for what ever reason) and when they stop eating, bacteria and
enzymes build in their stomachs - which causes discomfort - still no eating,
now no drinking since that is also now uncomfortable - no food in stomach,
and acids start working on the stomach linings and ferret is in more
discomfort and starting to get dehydrated - may see teeth grinding, pawing
at the mouth, or a "hunched" posture.  If it continues, eventually the acids
create an ulcer and it begins to bleed.  If untreated, yes this can kill
your ferret.  In order to stop this, you have to break the cycle: Hydrate
the ferret (subcutaneous fluids), get and keep food in the stomach, and
treat the symptoms of the ulcer with various medications.  Surgery may be
part of treating the symptoms, since hairballs/blockages/partial blockages
may cause this to happen (then add vomiting to the list of signs).

Giving Vinyl a softened diet helps - but you may have to force him to take
it.  Ask the vet or a nearby shelter/experienced ferret owner to show you
how.  Once he is healthy, you should really feed Vinyl a better diet then
Friskies Kitten.  Even though it may be less expensive than the ferret foods
on the market, as we say in the computer industry: Garbage In, Garbage Out.
A less expensive food may seem to be cheaper, until you figure in the health
and well being of the ferret, as well as how much of the cheaper stuff you
have to feed to get the same nutrition out of the more expensive diet.  You
love this little guy, I can tell.  Can you try to buy a better food and mix
it with the Friskies?  I understand about the cost, but some things are
worth paying more for.

Let me know if I can help - there are many people on the FML who care and I
think would help. Let me know, okay?

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"