From:
"Voorhees, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:48:10 -0500
Please consider many of the quack cures today exist because of anti-science
backlash.  The quotes:

"It is true because I would like it to be true"
"So and so tried it and it works".
"It an old fashioned cure so it must work"
"Natural treatments are best"

Are invalid unless supported by statistically valid scientific tests.
Otherwise you run the risk of causing more harm than good.  We have seen
other posts to this list where "natural remedies" have been proven harmful.
Others have been proven helpful.  I am NOT against natural remedies.  Only
the concept that just because they are natural they MUST be good.  Given
the FDA's stance on colloidal silver I would say that it fits in the
harmful category until proven differently.

The following is a quote extracted from the FDA web page.  If you wish to
view all of the information, none of which is positive, the URL is

www.verity.fda.gov

FDA is not aware of any substantial scientific evidence that supports the
safe and effective use of <colloidal> <silver> ingredients or silver salts
for any animal disease condition.  Also, in the October 15, 1996 Federal
Register, FDA proposed to establish that all over-the-counter human drug
products containing <colloidal> <silver> ingredients or silver salts for
internal or external use are not generally recognized as safe and effective
and are misbranded.

Use of <colloidal> <silver> ingredients in food-producing animals
constitutes a potentially serious public health concern because of the
possibility of residues in milk or meat.  According to several scientific
publications mentioned in the October 15, 1996 Federal Register proposal,
the human consumption of silver may result in argyria -- a permanent
ashen-gray or blue discoloration of the skin, conjunctiva, and internal
organs.

In addition to the possible human health concerns, use of these products
to treat a serious illness in animals (includingpets) could potentially
endanger the health of the animal by delaying timely, appropriate
treatment.

Bruce and Critter