From:
"Ferret Aid Society..." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:20:17 -0500
I am writing in hopes other shelters out there could shed some light on a
subject for me.

We, as a board decided not to do pre home visits before adoption.  It was a
mixed decision as some of us wanted to do it and some didn't.  At the time,
I was agonizing over an adoption of a little girl named Thistle.  She was
going to a home that seemed nice enough, but my gut was telling me
something could go wrong.  Because we had decided not to do a home visit,
the adoption went through.

I kept in contact for 3 weeks and saw Thistle at the vets with her new
mom too.  At the end of the 3 weeks, I received a call from Thistle's mom
saying she was really sick and there were no vets open on Sat night.  She
was still at work and asked if she could bring Thistle to my place so I
could have my on call vet take a look at her.

At 7pm, they showed up at my place.  Thistle's mom had a small cardboard
box in her hands.  I asked her where Thistle was and she handed me the box.
I said "oh my god, she's dead isn't she?!"  She pushed the box further into
my arms and I went into hysterics.

Thistle's grandmother was watching her that day.  She called the mom at
work to say Thistle was VERY sick.  Grandma went bowling at 10 am and
Thistle was dead when she returned at 1pm.

In light of Thistle's death and my guilt for not visiting, our board is
looking into pre home visits.  I know that it may not have saved Thistle,
but we would have felt we had done everything possible to ensure a good
home for her.  I am wondering if any shelters out there do pre home visits
and what you do there.

Thank you.

Sadly, Randy

The Ferret Aid Society
http://home.echo-on.net/~magick

Harley T-shirts are here! $36 US $46 Can.
please see http://home.echo-on.net/~magick/store.html

http://www.igive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=1383&mid=43897
click here to raise funds for the ferrets,  just by using your mouse!