From:
Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 10:54:09 -0400
>From:    Debbi Searing
>Subject: covering wire cage bottoms
>What do people use to cover their wire cage bottoms?  I need something easy
>to wipe and clean, since my fuzzies seem to have quite a few misses near
>the litter boxes!  I was also thinking of something to wrap around the
>sides to prevent over-the-edge misses that spill down the wall and land
>on the floor!  I have tried linoleum but it curls so badly.

HI--

Have you considered using carpet runners cut down to fit the cage?  We
buy small deep pile carpet runners cut them to fit the cage.  They can
be easily removed and wiped up by hand, in the cage or run through the
dishwasher.  The deep pile runner has long "prongs" which makes it fit
easily through the wire and the ferrets seemed less inclined to try and
move it.  Occassion we get someone who has to tunnel under it.  No big
deal and it falls back into place when the ferret comes out from under it.

For overpooping the side of the box, a high backed litter pan is best.
Something big enough the ferret can climb into and small enough to come out
the cage door.  There are several brands on the market, but Superpet and
Marshall come to mind.  YOu can order custom made boxes from cage makers.
Someone once suggested using stackable vegetable bins to me once.  Never
tried it.

KG