Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 13:41:13 -0500
I decided after about a month of research to use a vendor in Boston that is
well known for printing photographs on T-shirts.  Though I could only stay
about a day and a half, I had time to meet up with some of the heroes of the
Massachusetts legalization effort, Sharon Burbine, and Bill Williamson.  In
fact, Sharon organized such a reception that I felt like visiting royalty
when, as I said, these people are ferret heroes in my eyes.  I was met at
the airport by Bill, Peaches and Squeakers-- jeez, what a great ambassador
Squeakers is.  He's so cuddley and very kissy face.  It's hard to resist
stuffing him in your jacket for a visit to CA.

I had the opportunity to meet Lee who is very involved in MAFF and is
obviously doing a lot of work on the upcoming rally.  Lee was kind enough to
run me to and from the press checks and I ended our visit by giving her a
Convict T-shirt to pass along to Governor Weld (Governor Weld is obviously a
friend to ferrets and a very close friend to Governor Pete Wilson).  I'm
hoping he'll put a bug in Wilson's ear.

Dinner Sunday was spent at a terrific Italian restaurant that Sharon picked
to celebrate the first year of ferret freedom in MA this weekend.  The food
was great, and no one will ever go away hungry from that experience.  I was
really touched to be the guest of the folks at MAFF and hope to return the
kindness should any one of them make it to the West Coast.

It's easy to see how this organization has gotten off to such a great start
in such a short time.  The enthusiasm and energy from all of the ferret
lovers I met on that trip and at the dinner is infectious.  We've already
seen great things from MA in the legalization and quarantine, ferrets are
really fortunate in that state to have the love and dedication of so many of
you.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization